scored big today.. at least big to me ...best way to do thes

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I finally got clean rinse water
I am running the bottom of the pot through
3 coffee filters (put the rest back in the plastic
Drain cleaner Container)
a lot of black gets past.
I then spray the contents of the filters into clean
bucket and put the stuff that got past through the
Same filters only to end up with more black
Solution :shock:
I let settle and rig up a kick but siphon system (
Added clips at each end of hose) 8)
I then washed with HCl here and there .
I finally consolidated all the black in the filters.
A thought....could I mix up some HCL/BLEACH
and pour it through the filters repeatedly until
There clean
thanx Steyr223 Rob
PS nitric makes me itchy :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_20121105_195539_0.jpg
    IMG_20121105_195539_0.jpg
    1.1 MB
Hey Rob, that grey stuff could be bits of the epoxy that sealed the white cap to the base. it shouldnt effect the dissolution of the gold powder. it looks like you may have overfilled the filter and washed contents back down. when filtering, try not to pour liquid to the top of the filter. you can let the filter dry and incinerate the whole mass. dont breathe the smoke from it. it will contain sulfuric acid and make sulfuric acid vapors.put ash and all in a glass container and dissolve with hcl/Cl. filter and rinse the filter. let the black ash settle and decant down to the black ash. the solution will be some shade of green (it always is) heat the solution to steaming for about a half hour and let it cool. precipitate your gold.

Thanks Geo
I had thought that was the case
I actually already sprayed all the black into
a glass container with HCL and then added probably
way to much bleach (no big deal as the bleach
Will eventually dissipate right)
I ended up with a light brown muk
let settle and was happy with the clear yellow /
Green solution .....but......
What's all the sediment on the bottom?
Thanks Steyr223. Robp

Want to make sure no au is trapped for I will
Be filtering in morning

Attachments

• IMG_20121105_235721_0.jpg
    IMG_20121105_235721_0.jpg
    598.7 KB
yes, it will evaporate on its own. the white precipitate may be either lead or some other sulfate. when you pour the solution off the powder, put it in a container and add some warm water. if it dissolves, its most likely lead sulfate. whatever it is, be careful with it. if it is lead, it can be absorbed through your skin.

Ok how is all
Update ......did 20 chips in gold cell
Filtered out black sludge cleaned with
Hcl,, made auric chloride with HCL/Bleach
Ended up with. a sediment at the bottom (very
Thick heavy and not effected by hcl, hcl/bleach, or
warn h2o.
Filtered with charmon plug, steamed for 30 min
Dropped. With smb .
Melted with oxygen/acetylene, used borax as a flux.
This is what I got.((the bigger one.)) 1 gram
the. Smaller one is from Pcb's. .64 gram
thanks Steyr223 rob

Attachments

• IMG_20121107_203020_0.jpg
    IMG_20121107_203020_0.jpg
    846.4 KB
Will some of that white power darken in the sun after rinsing well in water? Silver chloride is photosensitive and darkens in light to violet or black.

Sounds like you ruled out lead chloride with the boiling hot water,, if the water is hot enough and you used enough water to dissolve all of the lead chloride, lead chloride will form white needle crystals when water was is cold again, this hot water would also dissolve sodium chloride, but salt is soluble in cold water.
And you ruled out copper I chloride with the HCl, as it would have made copper II chloride in the HCl.

Silver chloride will dissolve in household ammonia, and is precipitated back out of solution with adding HCl to form silver chloride fluffy white powders.
(If using ammonia on silver chloride never dry out always acidify solution for safety)

Nice Job those little beads of gold sitting by that penny make the penny look almost worthless.

TheGoldenChild said:
Wow nice score, have you tried reverse electroplating? Reverse electroplating looks cool and I would like to try it.
I have several hundred of similar circuits. The cap is porcelain mine are metal with two thin less than 0.0001g f platinum. Reverse electroplating is the way to go with these. Ever since i made my own cell I've been in heaven saves me loads of money not buying so much nitric acid.

Thank you butcher
how you always seem to know just the
Way to express your answers where the
Original poster always understands
Absolutely amazes me

I shall purchase some ammonia this weekend
And play some more with my mysterious powders

And thanks for the warning. I understand nitrides
At least for that purpose ...always acidify :shock:
Thanks Steyr223 rob

I think maybe my water wasn't hot enough
when I looked at the powders (3 days later )they
were mostly dissolved (70%)

More importantly -I did around 30 of my chips and
Was pleased with the close to black stannous test
Knowing this is an indication of concentrated. Au in
My AuCl
The drop was perfect although it turned dark quickly
used 4 grams of smb
only dropped .6 grams
Now I understand some chips have more au than others
but why was my stannous test so dark
Thanks Steyr223 Rob
PS used about the same amount of hcl/bleach as
usual. Ended up with 200-300 ml before drop

did you test the solution after the drop? stannous is sensitive, it can detect very tiny amounts of gold in a diluted solution. the color of the test is not a good indicator on content of dissolved metal. of coarse darker is better, but there comes a point where it cant get any darker and it sounds like .6g of gold in 200ml's of solution is pretty dark.

Thanks Geo
I have in the past had upwards of. 7+ grams
In about the same amount of solution, but
have never seen stannous test so dark.

That might have been back when I was having
trouble wth the stannous .

One thing I did not mention ---I did my drop
directly after steaming my AuCl, so it was
hot.
Thanks Steyr223 Rob

Nice,
those gold beads are multiplying.
If this keeps up they will probably weight your pockets down so much, you will have a hard time walking to the bank.

Hahaha
I just got a new battery & inverter so I am
mobile again.
This one can run every power tool I own and a couple
of Au cells at the same time.
I don't need a plug in, the feeling of independence again
:lol:
I couldn't do it with out you guys!
Thanks to everyone Steyr223 rob.

Howdy you all. Been awhile since my last post... we've had several family members go on home.
Anyway, I've been receiving some similar components, although non magnetic.
Initial tests look good, although the AuCl has white salt that needs to be dealt with. Seemed like the plating was better than average. I was wondering if the core wasn't nickel possibly.

On a side note, it's cool how each refiner's level of expertise and knowledge has increased over the years. Just by being away and then reading recent posts compared to what I remembered of each; Just wanted to say I'm glad everyone stuck, and I'm proud of the effort put forth.
Good work men.
Jim

Attachments

• HPIM1177.jpg
    HPIM1177.jpg
    314.8 KB
Harvester3 said:
Howdy you all. Been awhile since my last post... we've had several family members go on home.
Anyway, I've been receiving some similar components, although non magnetic.
Initial tests look good, although the AuCl has white salt that needs to be dealt with. Seemed like the plating was better than average. I was wondering if the core wasn't nickel possibly.

On a side note, it's cool how each refiner's level of expertise and knowledge has increased over the years. Just by being away and then reading recent posts compared to what I remembered of each; Just wanted to say I'm glad everyone stuck, and I'm proud of the effort put forth.
Good work men.
Jim

nickel is highly magnetic. if its not copper based (copper,brass,bronze) it could be any other non-ferrous metal or alloy.how heavy are the pieces? too heavy for aluminum? zinc could not withstand the heat generated.

Well yeah...I should have thought of that. They're very heavy, although after their bath and shedding most of their pretty outside color they're 1.3 grams, which is .6 grams lighter (includes losing most of ceramic part as well as gold plate) and look like this:
I much appreciate you taking a look.

Attachments

• IMG_0567.jpg
    IMG_0567.jpg
    450.6 KB

Latest posts

Back