scored big today.. at least big to me ...best way to do thes

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no idea what the heat sink would be made of, I would suspect maybe a copper based compound with a fine nickel plate to plate the gold to, can you cut one of these with a pair of diagonal pliers to see if you can determine if the metal might be a copper base metal.

I tried to find datasheets but failed to find one for these, I did find Qual Comm made a lot of circuits in the AM49 series, maybe you can find the data sheet for these and get some information from that..

AuFul wrote:
Phil,
Cool! Did you get one or all of those? Care to sell one? I live about 3 hours south of you!

Yes, I would consider selling you one. Some one at that shop also showed some interest in one, so I might end up selling some.

Yes, I bought all 5, plus another 2 of the white ones, EdgeGard EG-6320's, about 3 weeks ago. CT, I'll get you the model number for the yellow ones in a bit.

Phil

The yellow ones are, LAB PRODUCTS 30909D STAY-CLEAN L/F-B WORK BENCH FUME HOOD
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=lab+products+fume+hoods&view=detail&id=1A782989F865E001907EDA00E034242E2C355D4D&first=1

Hi Richard!
We're putting together a 10' x 16' lab with all the proper equipment and these just came our way, so we'll make the best of them.
Phil

butcher said:
I have no idea what the heat sink would be made of, I would suspect maybe a copper based compound with a fine nickel plate to plate the gold to, can you cut one of these with a pair of diagonal pliers to see if you can determine if the metal might be a copper base metal.

I tried to find datasheets but failed to find one for these, I did find Qual Comm made a lot of circuits in the AM49 series, maybe you can find the data sheet for these and get some information from that..

Thanks Butcher. I haven't been able to find a data sheet either. The card the cpu was attached to looks like this.
161 gr gold boards (2).jpg
Non magnetic, won't cut just breaks.
Anyway out of that batch of em I melted a button today; 4 grams. Nice, clean and shiny. I scratched it with pliers so I wanna melt again before I take a pic.
Went really well; textbook really, which is so strange in my piece of the world I can't tell you.
Thanks again for all your all's help
Jim

Phil, I am glad to hear you are fixing up a nice lab, keep us posted with its development.

I started building a shed 8'X12' still needs finished, insulation, door, window, painting, sheetrock, and floor cover, I was thinking of working indoors in this shed, but after getting this building half done, I am having second thoughts about refining indoors, I like the open air, (rain and snow are troublesome and sometimes the cold), but as I usually have hotplates fuming almost 24Hr's a day, I do not know I want to run a fume hood all the time, I do not think I would enjoy it as much being surrounded by walls, can't see the critters roaming around, I have been thinking I may just use the building for storage and just build a roof on four post to keep the rain and snow off, and still be able to enjoy the outdoors.

Jim,
4 grams sounds like a good yield, it is nice when the processes go smoothly, will be waiting for that picture, in the picture of the circuit boards it looks like some of the through holes have a little gold in them (hard to tell), did you get an idea of what base metal the heat sinks were?

Hello guys
Phil that's funny when I saw the pic
I thought wow!! "You could make a fume hood with that"
:oops:
Jim nice, did you do that from just the chips or the boards
Sorry if you already answerd that, I will have to go
Re read the 1rst page
Hey butcher if it would shed some light I will
Send you a pm of the company that makes this
Stuff,most of which looks to be prefabbed at the
business itself and then re-engineered to overcome
Problems.
Thanks Steyr223 rob
PS Half of the chips and boards are covered over with
There own number's, so refrencing may be difficult.

Attachments

• IMG_20121213_041334_0.jpg
    IMG_20121213_041334_0.jpg
    1.5 MB
butcher said:
Jim,
4 grams sounds like a good yield, it is nice when the processes go smoothly, will be waiting for that picture, in the picture of the circuit boards it looks like some of the through holes have a little gold in them (hard to tell), did you get an idea of what base metal the heat sinks were?

Thanks
No I've not determined base metals yet. They didn't do much dissolve/precip while in the leach.
I guess the photo isn't the best but the card is completely covered in foil... Gonna run some of those next.
Thanks again. Merry Christmas

Harvester3 said:
I guess the photo isn't the best but the card is completely covered in foil... Gonna run some of those next.

You can run the whole board in a reverse plating cell the will be done real quick that way. The parts that aren't connected can be done with a probe attached to your cell. I did some cell boards like that for fun and the stripped real clean and fast.

Eric

Yep I thought it might do well in a cell. I moved my shop awhile back and we're just now getting to where I can recover/refine anything. As yet haven't built a cell, and as I get older I find my head needs reminding more and more on the different process'.
I'll study up on it and give er a try. We're receiving these units from a trucking outfit here, and still have around 500 to go. Nice units.
Jim

steyr223 said:
Hello guys
Phil that's funny when I saw the pic
I thought wow!! "You could make a fume hood with that"
:oops:
Jim nice, did you do that from just the chips or the boards
Sorry if you already answerd that, I will have to go
Re read the 1rst page
Hey butcher if it would shed some light I will
Send you a pm of the company that makes this
Stuff,most of which looks to be prefabbed at the
business itself and then re-engineered to overcome
Problems.
Thanks Steyr223 rob
PS Half of the chips and boards are covered over with
There own number's, so refrencing may be difficult.

Hey
The 4 grams came frome the little heat sink/cpus in the pic. Purty good plate on em I thought. The boards should be as good though... Hope.

steyr223 said:
My boards were soldered to a 3/8" thick copper heat
Sink which left a whole side of solder. I can see spots
Under the solder side that lead me to believe they
Are fully plated
But,
Mine are cardboard, seems these look giood but
I I don't think

rob

many men repeat themselves-repeat themselves-repeat themselves-repeat themselves-......................

Phil,

The hoods are beautiful but, since they're stainless, they would soon be rust buckets when using HCl or AR unless they were coated with something. Also, they would have to be modified for fume removal. I would think the HEPA particulate filters would be worthless for acid fumes. In other words, as they sit, I can't see them working for acid work.

Latest posts

Back