***** The Platinumill Exposed and on Trial *****

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
markqf1 said:
Thanks Ralph,
Whenever any of you guys find a way to get paid for rh content without a fusion process assay,.. please let me know.

Mark

I"m a little dumb here. Break that down for me. Are you talking about like selling a solution, Say AR that might contain P.M.'s in solution ?

Has anyone seen the show on Acids on the Discovery channel? It has been on a few times that I know of. Today was probably the third time I have seen it, at least.

Today was the first time I had noticed though that they specifically talk about recovery from catalists. They didn't go into great detail, but one of the things that they did go over was the initial process that they put the catalist through, and specifically they said the first process was screening, then processing in Sulfuric acid to remove everything but the platinum, then processing the remaining metals with aqua regia.

I have not followed this thread very closely as it is/has been of little interest. So, I am not sure if anyone is/has attempted the sulfuric acid bath as their initial step in the processing of cats. I guess I should have looked to be sure that cat processing is where this thread kicked off, and that sulfuric was not discussed as an option. It seems to simple/cheap of an option to have not been tried already.

reactivity series of metals:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactivity_series

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palladium

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Rhodium&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g10

Using AR or Sulfuric acid is a way to get the PGM's, BUT is a little barbaric. It disolves EVERYTHING.

Making recovery from solution a little harder. I have been able to recover around 80% of Pt,Pd and less of Rh this way, but it is not as efficient as other processes.

Muddy said:
Using AR or Sulfuric acid is a way to get the PGM's, BUT is a little barbaric. It disolves EVERYTHING.
Making recovery from solution a little harder. I have been able to recover around 80% of Pt,Pd and less of Rh this way, but it is not as efficient as other processes.

what more efficient methods have you used?

Hi shadybear, I have tried quite a few different methods. Just trying to get the recovery up, the process time down and make it as cheap to process as possible.

Pretty much what everyone is doing.

shady bear there is alot of information on catalytic converters and processing the platinum group metals on posts here, also have you been to lasersteves web site? and for a few bucks he has a DVD that will give you a visual lesson. I have not worked with the catalytics, except for reading alot, but steve's method seems like one of the best for small time refiners like us.

In the near future, with Lou's long distance help, I'll be setting up and demonstrating Gas Phase extraction of cats use sulfuryl chloride.

This method appears to be the most direct route to PGMs from cats.

I'll have my rig up and tested by the end of the year hopefully.

Here's a photo of the home made lab scale (24" reaction chamber) furnace today:

furnace.jpg

Steve

Great setup Steve!
If anybody can make it work,... it's you and lou.
I'm looking forward to seeing what you've come up with.

Ralph,
I was just referring to having to put rh into solution to run ICP assays.
Thats what it takes to sell it. :lol:

Mark

I have the DVD and it's old news.
It's not about the platinumill, it's about their system 4 and system 3.
If you would like to see it, pm me.
I also have the fire assay dvd and the leaching manual. :lol:

Mark

When I try to send a PM, I get an error message, : no "recipient specified", but the box with his user named is checked before I tried to send the PM. Any suggestions? Thanks, Steve

I get the same sometimes. The only way I have found to correct the problem is to log out, shut down IE and come back in from scratch.

Latest posts

Back