Turbine engine parts

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its-all-a-lie said:
I am still clueless as to why this topic should not be discussed on an open forum. Before this thread, i never knew gold was used in this type application, and would have thought platinum would have been a better metal for the job because of its high melting point. Can someone explain this a little?

You guys can discuss it all you want. I truly wish you luck. I have already said too much and I will only enter in on a peripheral basis, at most. I also hope the other 2 (or, maybe, 3 or 4) on the forum that have knowledge of these things do the same and I have no reason to think otherwise.

Before the advent of this forum, knowledge in the PM refining industry was mostly made up of trade secrets. Now, about the only trade secrets are those that we choose not to discuss. I know that I am totally willing to discuss about 95% of all I know and have about 4700 posts to prove it. Those 4700 posts are a free gift from me to you. You did absolutely nothing to deserve them.

Aircraft scrap is a niche business for some. However, I could probably list 10 other very profitable, large scale, niche PM businesses, some of which I have tried to discuss, mostly to deaf ears - search and see. Unless we are very stupid, when we find a profitable niche that only we and a few others know anything about, we keep our mouths shut. Loose lips sink ships. Every one on the forum keeps "trade secrets" of one type or another. They can be what keeps food on the table. I respect these secrets and will never try to coerce them out of someone.

I got the same message. Of course he's fishing and I don't blame him a bit. He sees the potential and wants to be a part of it.

Did he think that all of a sudden, everyone on the forum is going to go out and start buying jet engines?

Damn! I just went out and bought $1,000,000 in jet engines :shock: and now you guys ran this fine gentleman off. Now I'll never know how to do it! :x :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Maynman. I have a way out for you. Take an online jet engine mechanics course, refurbish them and resell to the major airlines. Easypeasy and no hassle involved. :lol:

GSP,
I completely understand your stance on this subject, and I really appreciate all of the information you have shared with the forum. This forum would not be what it has become without your help here, you have greatly enhanced the forum with much of your treasured knowledge, and information you have provided, giving us much of this treasured knowledge and getting nothing in return, except the knowing that you have helped others, also like I said I would not expect someone to post on open forum where they buried their gold.

I hate to see anyone banned from the forum, but if they just disrupt the forum, we are better off without the trouble, removing bad apples from the barrel is necessary, other wise the whole barrel will end up rotten.

I also have to say it is making me very curious how the brazing welds were lifted as a foil looking material, and how the chemical or electrical or whatever reaction could get up underneath them, between the brazing weld and the metal being welded, as the brazing would almost flow into the surface of the metals parts, and the bond so tight how can much of anything get up under it to react? Almost like smearing warm butter on toast, how could I remove the butter later as foils?

butcher said:
how could I remove the butter later as foils?

Good question!

I don't know why, but freezing with liquid nitrogen was the first thing that came up in my mind when i saw this question.... Please, tell my i'm not crazy.

the question of flux comes to mind.you wouldnt have to attack the base metal or the braze if you can get to the flux between the two.

Problem I see with flux is the braze metal wants to flow where ever the flux is, wouldnt this just spread out the brazing further thinning it out over a larger area?

could it be like in-quartation with copper , leaving stainless steel behind ?

ive never did welds on stainless steel, but flux on copper is another story. solder only sticks to where the flux is. if you get sloppy or push the flux around with the torch you can make a mess in a hurry. i know this is different than soldering copper joints but i cant help but think about some stainless ive seen welded and there was flux used on that as well. with mig welding, argon gas or a combination of inert gases is used as a buffer or a kind of flux but thats on galvanized and regular steel.i would imagine that on the big turbines, the welds are all done by hand with a stick welder. i dont know if gold alloy braze is fluxed on the wire or stick or if its brushed on.

No flux remains in the joint if it did the bond would fail. In a high performance application such as turbine blades the joints likely need scanned (by some means) for flux inclusions.

Flux is essentially a high temperature cleaner that scavenges oxygen from the surface prevents further oxidation and is displaced by the braze metal.

samuel-a said:
Good question!

I don't know why, but freezing with liquid nitrogen was the first thing that came up in my mind when i saw this question.... Please, tell my i'm not crazy.

Ha ha ha Sorry ... your crazy :mrgreen:

I have read the use of liquid N on old car tires, the rubber shatters leaving behind the metal bands, hmmm, not sure how brittle the parts of interest are, but it would be worth a try.

Oh, and OK, the man is a nob, maybe we could get back to what we are supposed to be good at, thats PM's, not gossip and back bitting, just my 2 cents worth. 8)

Deano

Probably in an ideal world, if someone could afford to purchase used jet engines, you'd be able to afford this process:

I've seen the same set up in the eWaste industry, probably would have some relevance to recovering engine parts.

Melt down the slats whole.

Pour and mold into half or quarter inch plates, 3 or 4 feet square.

Drop the plates along an assembly line of (electrically charged chemical) baths to extract the values.

One certain type of value per bath, until you finally end up with the gold.

So Jack. If I went to a boneyard and bought a totally destroyed. It would be expensive .

Wha if I just bought the stator..... Theoreticly speaking of course because I am poor :cry: :lol:

goldsilverpro said:
Every one on the forum keeps "trade secrets" of one type or another.
I don't. I have willingly disclosed everything I know (which isn't much).

Harold

jack_burton said:
One certain type of value per bath, until you finally end up with the gold.
Makes a great story. Too bad it doesn't work that way.

Harold

Harold_V said:
goldsilverpro said:
Every one on the forum keeps "trade secrets" of one type or another.
I don't. I have willingly disclosed everything I know (which isn't much).

Harold

I apologize for including you in that, Harold. I know you have no secrets. However, you're probably alone in that.

Latest posts

Back