Rhodium ore

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here we go again :D :D

Richest rhodium ores in the world picked somewhere on waste rock pile... Measured with wanky XRF in improper mode, uncallibrated, and there it is - another rhodium "miracle" :)
Jealousy doesn’t get anywhere alchemy has been around for centuries fire is all I need to easy these metals I’ll melt it all then sell it as solid no maters

I did not need any of that to identify my material are u familiar with melting points of metals ? That how we did it back before all this technology it will never be cost affective there is to many combinations and blends I is what I claim and rich beyond anything in North America

im right here in USA brother u Need ore I have it contact me for details [email protected] I’ll hook u up brother I need your help
Well then you are better than all kinds of prospectors here.
Even the most experienced prospector won't know what is in an ore until it is assayed.
And you are not dealing with metals, but metal oxides and other metal salt combination.
Aluminum melts at around 800C and Alumina around 2000C
And the story goes on.
So until you have an assay, what you have is Rocks.

By the way I really do not think anyone is jealous, these kinds of posts pop up regularly and I'm getting tired of repeating my self.
So far ALL has failed or ended with the person being banned for profanity or what ever makes the tilt in the end.

Well then you are better than all kinds of prospectors here.
Even the most experienced prospector won't know what is in an ore until it is assayed.
And you are not dealing with metals, but metal oxides and other metal salt combination.
Aluminum melts at around 800C and Alumina around 2000C
And the story goes on.
So until you have an assay, what you have is Rocks.

By the way I really do not think anyone is jealous, these kinds of posts pop up regularly and I'm getting tired of repeating my self.
So far ALL has failed or ended with the person being banned for profanity or what ever makes the tilt in the end.
It’s still rhodium pal any way u melt it brother u can do what ever u want with it ok u ready for sample

It’s still rhodium pal any way u melt it brother u can do what ever u want with it ok u ready for sample
I’m laughing yes u will never provoke negative outcome from Me there is no substitute for experience the proof is in the melting point then I’ll sell it to metal refiners ! Although chemical process is most adequate

Jealousy doesn’t get anywhere alchemy has been around for centuries fire is all I need to easy these metals I’ll melt it all then sell it as solid no maters
This is fairly common theme here. You aren´t first with miraculous rhodium content ore. Thing is that it is always only rhodium, iridium or ruthenium - pattern replicate through all of these "ore" threads :)

It has a reason. XRF machines loaded on precious metals mode cannot cope with light element matrix (eg rock, sand) and get lost in computation of diffractions and excitation energies. Signals of light elements overlay with signals of some metals - espetially that of rhodium, osmium, iridium and ruthenium. And as XRF cannot know what it have in front, due to this skewed diffractions and assumptions - it will tell you that there is loads of precious metals - because that is the best it can tell you on this mode with said sample.

Most of the machines has also Geochemical mode - this mode is more suitable for measuring light element matrixes. Still very inproper way how to determine PM content. Assay is needed. Not regular fire assay, but specialized nickel sulfide assay for platinum metals. Or at least ICP measurement.

XRF is only reliable for measuring solid metal samples, if not exhaustively callibrated for some specific type of material - eg. pulverized catalytic materials etc.
Not jealousy, but sober reality. You can indeed have some PGMs in sulfidic NiCo ores, that is undoubtly true, few ppm´s could be very real. But several % of Rh is too good to be true.

This theme is periodically appearing here on the forum, just scroll for similar thread names - every year few dozen of cases. In every case it ends with accusations of jealousy and the person cannot take any advice or face reality. And if it somehow ends up in any real assay of material, there is fat zero PGMs :)

PS: Take several random rocks from your garden, or another wastepile, back of the road, some pyritized samples, anything... Take like 7 different pieces and shot them all with that machine :) And then you discover, that accordingly to the machine, your house is built from "rhodium ore", sand on the road contain rhodium, pyrite contain rhodium, iron ores all contain rhodium etc etc. :) And we all unaware cannot take that opportunity to become rich in instance :)
Rhodium is one of few rarest elements in Earth. Think about it.

I’m laughing yes u will never provoke negative outcome from Me there is no substitute for experience the proof is in the melting point then I’ll sell it to metal refiners ! Although chemical process is most adequate
Melting point is usable only for pure substances. And I will watch how you can reliably measure melting point of Rh :) If there is any rhodium, it isn´t in it´s metallic form.

No refinery will buy your ore based on some assumptions, crappy XRF measurement or melting point test. They will want proper assay to be done. This is how real business works. You won´t change it.

I just want to save you a lot of time. Do the assay now, if you are persuaded you have rhodium ore. Pulverize representative sample and send it for proper NiS assay to certified laboratory. Or at least, let somebody measure ICP-OES or some other ICP measurement.

This is fairly common theme here. You aren´t first with miraculous rhodium content ore. Thing is that it is always only rhodium, iridium or ruthenium - pattern replicate through all of these "ore" threads :)

It has a reason. XRF machines loaded on precious metals mode cannot cope with light element matrix (eg rock, sand) and get lost in computation of diffractions and excitation energies. Signals of light elements overlay with signals of some metals - espetially that of rhodium, osmium, iridium and ruthenium. And as XRF cannot know what it have in front, due to this skewed diffractions and assumptions - it will tell you that there is loads of precious metals - because that is the best it can tell you on this mode with said sample.

Most of the machines has also Geochemical mode - this mode is more suitable for measuring light element matrixes. Still very inproper way how to determine PM content. Assay is needed. Not regular fire assay, but specialized nickel sulfide assay for platinum metals. Or at least ICP measurement.

XRF is only reliable for measuring solid metal samples, if not exhaustively callibrated for some specific type of material - eg. pulverized catalytic materials etc.
Not jealousy, but sober reality. You can indeed have some PGMs in sulfidic NiCo ores, that is undoubtly true, few ppm´s could be very real. But several % of Rh is too good to be true.

This theme is periodically appearing here on the forum, just scroll for similar thread names - every year few dozen of cases. In every case it ends with accusations of jealousy and the person cannot take any advice or face reality. And if it somehow ends up in any real assay of material, there is fat zero PGMs :)

PS: Take several random rocks from your garden, or another wastepile, back of the road, some pyritized samples, anything... Take like 7 different pieces and shot them all with that machine :) And then you discover, that accordingly to the machine, your house is built from "rhodium ore", sand on the road contain rhodium, pyrite contain rhodium, iron ores all contain rhodium etc etc. :) And we all unaware cannot take that opportunity to become rich in instance :)
Rhodium is one of few rarest elements in Earth. Think about it.
It’s prevalent around ore deposit that simple it’s not rocket science when it melts and u have metal iron ore and all the rest of the metals that we know are present with large iron ore deposits rare earth minerals RICH RICH RICH SO IF IT IS Areassociated with iron ore and the melting point is over three thousand degree melting point . It’s platinum based metals simple as that ! And that determines what it is 100 percent then they can assay it I have to go do more high gradeing

A bit of advice: Leave your ego and your assumptions at the door when you enter the Gold Refining Forum. Should this continue, eventually a moderator will tire of your unnecessary arrogance and remove you from the Forum.

Time for more coffee.

It’s prevalent around ore deposit that simple it’s not rocket science when it melts and u have metal iron ore and all the rest of the metals that we know are present with large iron ore deposits rare earth minerals RICH RICH RICH SO IF IT IS Areassociated with iron ore and the melting point is over three thousand degree melting point . It’s platinum based metals simple as that ! And that determines what it is 100 percent then they can assay it I have to go do more high gradeing
Then go for it. But in sake of saving your time I will proceed with assay first. High grading is tedious and eats time. Look what big guys do and try to replicate it. They invested millions to their operation, and it is probably the most high-end process in current state of knowledge.

And abandon that melting point. Metals form alloys. And iron oxides melt also at insanely high temperatures :) very unreliable. If Rh is here, it alloy with iron and other elements when reductively smelted. And all melting point testing is completely trash - don´t say anything valuable. No reputable and prosperous company measure melting point of alloys to determine their composition :)

That is my last advice, you take it or not. Hope you will strike it rich.

I refer you the recent article on the South "America platina belt in the International California Mining Journal. The author (whose name I cannot recall at the moment) lists these levels of pgm's from historical records.
This is where Devil Metals were first discovered and first produced.

Randy in Gunnison
My wife's brother in law is an engineer in Colombia. His family is still in the emerald business, but used to be in the silver ore extraction and smelting business until the early 19th century. They originally found Ag ore in the grayish whitish variegated condition that Yggdrasil mentioned in the mountains where they mined for emeralds. They were never capable of doing anything with the "platina" they often labored to part from the silver, it had no value and no practical application, so they ignored it. Separate from that, they found amazing alluvial emeralds in mountain rivulets and streams whose banks were composed of a tough slightly spongey dark blue matrix, so dark it was black optically. It was shot through with streaks of silvery metal, and golden metal, tiny crystalline lumps, and it has a massive weight and density. They still had some bags of it in their taller when I married, which they gave to us with old alluvial emeralds, and some from Brazil, too (they were Portugese originally). So, I have six kilos of this KIMBERLITE. His family still owns the land on which it was found, near the cordillera. The crystalline lumps are diamonds. Down hill of this, and downhill from some of the old silver mines, they still own some of those, too, are dumps of the material Shecker mentioned, a sort of black sand. The geologic deposit extends across the international border into Venezuela. Good luck there, and good luck in Petro's Colombia. I am holding the kimberlite to preserve it as samples, but would love to try to refine some of Shecker's material. I am catching up on projects I had to put aside due to several major surgeries, am just about up to date. And will be heading west again here in the US, I hope, in Spring to check my PM and gem claims. Anybody like Benitoite or Red Beryl? I also have lumps of a similar dark bluish-black mineral from my North American claims, some large, some small more like chips. They're all shot through with silvery and golden colors, not pyrites.

Last edited:
My wife's brother in law is an engineer in Colombia. His family is still in the emerald business, but used to be in the silver ore extraction and smelting business until the early 19th century. They originally found Ag ore in the grayish whitish variegated condition that Yggdrasil mentioned in the mountains where they mined for emeralds. They were never capable of doing anything with the "platina" they often labored to part from the silver, it had no value and no practical application, so they ignored it. Separate from that, they found amazing alluvial emeralds in mountain rivulets and streams whose banks were composed of a tough slightly spongey dark blue matrix, so dark it was black optically. It was shot through with streaks of silvery metal, and golden metal, tiny crystalline lumps, and it has a massive weight and density. They still had some bags of it in their taller when I married, which they gave to us with old alluvial emeralds, and some from Brazil, too (they were Portugese originally). So, I have six kilos of this KIMBERLITE. His family still owns the land on which it was found, near the cordillera. The crystalline lumps are diamonds. Down hill of this, and downhill from some of the old silver mines, they still own some of those, too, are dumps of the material Shecker mentioned, a sort of black sand. The geologic deposit extends across the international border into Venezuela. Good luck there, and good luck in Petro's Colombia. I am holding the kimberlite to preserve it as samples, but would love to try to refine some of Shecker's material. I am catching up on projects I had to put aside due to several major surgeries, am just about up to date. And will be heading west again here in the US, I hope, in Spring to check my PM and gem claims. Anybody like Benitoite or Red Beryl?
Well I called them rocks, since it is not tested, most things not tested falls in that category:D

My wife's brother in law is an engineer in Colombia. His family is still in the emerald business, but used to be in the silver ore extraction and smelting business until the early 19th century. They originally found Ag ore in the grayish whitish variegated condition that Yggdrasil mentioned in the mountains where they mined for emeralds. They were never capable of doing anything with the "platina" they often labored to part from the silver, it had no value and no practical application, so they ignored it. Separate from that, they found amazing alluvial emeralds in mountain rivulets and streams whose banks were composed of a tough slightly spongey dark blue matrix, so dark it was black optically. It was shot through with streaks of silvery metal, and golden metal, tiny crystalline lumps, and it has a massive weight and density. They still had some bags of it in their taller when I married, which they gave to us with old alluvial emeralds, and some from Brazil, too (they were Portugese originally). So, I have six kilos of this KIMBERLITE. His family still owns the land on which it was found, near the cordillera. The crystalline lumps are diamonds. Down hill of this, and downhill from some of the old silver mines, they still own some of those, too, are dumps of the material Shecker mentioned, a sort of black sand. The geologic deposit extends across the international border into Venezuela. Good luck there, and good luck in Petro's Colombia. I am holding the kimberlite to preserve it as samples, but would love to try to refine some of Shecker's material. I am catching up on projects I had to put aside due to several major surgeries, am just about up to date. And will be heading west again here in the US, I hope, in Spring to check my PM and gem claims. Anybody like Benitoite or Red Beryl?
Yeah, that is completely plausible, and PGM occured alongside silver in ores in Latin America.

Thing is, there can be PGMs in many places. There are alluvial Pt deposits in some places in the world. But it is important to be said, that if somebody shows here some lightly sulfidic looking rock, shot it with crappy non-properly used XRF (incapable of dealing with such sample) and claim it to be several % PGMs - I do not catch on that.

PGMs could be there for sure. They weren´t ruled out - but also not confirmed. Measurement he did does not validate anything, only thing he proven by it is iron content in that rock. If there were ppm levels of PGMs locked in sulfides, which is often quite plausible, XRF has no way to detect them in such a low concentration. Maybe top-notch machines could qualitatively distinguish like 50 ppm or more on Geochem mode. But this yellow abomination of an instrument loaded on precious metals mode, callibrated for karat gold in someones jeweller´s shop - NO.

People in geology say claim after claim after claim, and many would be surprised how off they are with they "qualified guess", when machines are involved to analyze real composition. Some minerals are definitely unmistakeable. But regular solid microcrystalline sulfide ore = at least 15 common minerals could be there, alongside dozens and dozens more uncommon, and they all look the same. Base your claim about possibility of occurence of something in that area is also vague, but at least it´s something.

You can get away with it in mineral shows, or selling to people who just like to have a specimen of "something" from there and there. But any processing or selling the ore is accompanied with thorough and proper analysis - and this is usually the point where expectations and dreams about % of rhodium and platinum are crushed :)

I have one of the most experienced pgm labs right here in my backyard, Send me a pm and I will have your ore looked at, and if it holds any value, I can have it all proccessed with a small plasma arc furnace (best &safest recovery available), But I have to warn you , if your bullshitting me , I do not take kindly to anyone wasting my time, and thats a fact........Frog
Well give me adress ok so I can send u a box of rocks Froggy let’s get with it ok tons of this ok let’s find out who’ knows what platinum and palladium look like I know soon they will also let’s do this !

Thanks so who can I get to prove to u it’s valuable beyond anything and test value refine it and sell it ok
You do not need to prove it to me.
I'm not a buyer anyway, you need to prove it to the forum and they are a well informed and knowledgeable bunch.
And as the word has been said already there are only two ways, NiS assay or some variety of ICP.
I live in a different part of the world, so I have no information on where to send it.
It is in here in the forum I think so just search for PGM testing, NiS assay, ICP analysis or similar.

Back